This blog has moved. Click here to go to the new blog.

Savings-Bonds-Alert: Incapacitated Savings Bond Owner and Power of Attorney

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Incapacitated Savings Bond Owner and Power of Attorney

I recently received Power of Attorney for my cousin who has had several strokes. He has Savings Bonds dating from 1967 to 1998. I have taken 81 $25 bonds that are matured and separated them for redemption. My cousin can not sign them. My bank says to send them to a Federal Reserve Bank, but they do not advise how to get them signed. Can you advise? Tom's response The Treasury actually has forms for the situation you're in. The form you need is Application by Voluntary Guardian of Incapacitated Owner of United States Bonds/Notes. The last page of the form has detailed instructions, including where to mail the form. You will have to have your signature certified at a bank or notarized by any Notary Public. You should be able to open the form at the link above and print a copy to send in. If any of your cousin's bonds are Series I bonds, you may eventually need a different form, Request for Payment of Series I Savings Bonds by the Representative of the Estate of an Incompetent or Minor. Click here to visit the premier independent web site on Saving Bonds.


Post a Comment