This blog has moved. Click here to go to the new blog.

Savings-Bonds-Alert: Gift bonds for non-citizen godson

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Gift bonds for non-citizen godson

I'd like to start buying savings bonds for my godson, who isn't a US citizen and doesn't have a social security number. What options are there to purchase savings bonds in his name on an annual basis? Tom's response You can buy a paper bond at a bank and register it in your godson's name. You can provide your own Social Security Number on gift bond transactions. In Treasury Direct, on the other hand, gift bond registrations must include the recipient's social security number. There are no citizenship limits to who can own Savings Bonds. However, there are extra steps for non-citizens trying to redeem savings bonds that complicate this gift. See section 1.3 on this page of the Treasury's savings bonds web site.


Post a Comment