This blog has moved. Click here to go to the new blog.

Savings-Bonds-Alert: Should you change the registration if your name changes?

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Should you change the registration if your name changes?

I recently remarried and want to change my name on my Savings Bonds to my married name. What form do I need to do this? Tom's response When your name changes because of marriage, the Treasury suggests you leave your previous name on the bond; when you cash the bonds, simply sign your former name and your married name on the bonds. For example, "Mary L. Smith, changed by marriage to Mary L. Jones." However, the Treasury says that if a court is involved in your name change - through a divorce, for example - then you should have your named changed on your Savings Bonds, too. In any case, the forms for changing the registration on a Savings Bond do have a checkbox for changing your name because of marriage. For Series I use Public Debt Form 5387 and for Series EE use Public Debt Form 4000.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment