This blog has moved. Click here to go to the new blog.

Savings-Bonds-Alert: Tax-deferred rollovers of EE Savings Bonds

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Tax-deferred rollovers of EE Savings Bonds

Can EE savings bonds be converted to I bonds without having to pay taxes on the interest earned? Is there any way to rollover EE bonds into something else and not pay tax on the earnings of the EE bonds? Tom's response The only way to move your money between Series EE and Series I bonds is to redeem one and purchase the other. This always creates a taxable event. Now that HH bonds aren't available, there's no longer any way to continue tax-deferment after a Savings Bond reaches final maturity and stops paying interest. You know that saying about death and taxes? Meet taxes.


Post a Comment